I’m going to let you in on an awesome game. It works for both single people and couples. Right now Brooke and I are playing the couple’s version and have been for the last three months.
Here is how it works:
- Get a big effing mason jar.
- Every time you have spare money in your pocket or wallet, put it in the jar. But also sometimes just walk by and put not-so spare money in.
- Any time you are thinking about going out to eat, put some money in and cook a meal instead.
- Every time you are thinking about buying a $5 latte, put a $5 bill in and, you know, just don’t have the latte.
- Make it a competition. Treat it like an actual game. Your significant other put two dollars in? Go over and put three in.
- You are not allowed to take money out or count it.
- At the end of the month, clear a table and count all the money (so fun) and roll it (not as fun).
We’ve been playing since February 1st and have accumulated $697. It adds up so quickly.
Today was money-counting day since I’m leaving tonight. Best day of the month.
Side note: It’s a lot more fun playing in Canada because they use one and two dollar coins. Loonies and toonies just, I don’t know, feel cooler.